Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Choices- revisited

So, I talked recently about choices, how we choose to eat food or not eat food.  How we don't cheat, we know that we are choosing to eat something that might be bad for us, or we think a moment and we chose to eat the food we know is healthy.

In a sense this means we choose to be fat, or unhealthy, or unhappy.  It is our choice.  It is not McDonald's fault that you are fat, Ronald McDonald did not grab you by the hand with the burger in one hand and your jaw in the other and force feed you.  If your parents didn't teach you healthy habits as a child, it is NOT their fault that you have not now learned the right things to eat, obviously you can read ;)  It is not the schools fault the children are fat, make your child's lunch.  It is not the governments fault, if you try following the food pyramid and it doesn't work, well then look for something that does.

It is time for people to open their eyes and admit that they are responsible for their weight.  You may have a medical condition, you may have taken a medication that made you gain weight.  Yes, I understand this, been there done that.  But, if you are still fat months or years later, it is still your fault.  Well, your body anyway.  You can't blame anything or anyone else.

Maybe you have a thyroid condition, or took DEPO or steroids.  Well those things don't last forever.  There are ways to make it work.  There are ways to lose the weight, even if it has been difficult or impossible in the past.  How do I know this with such certainty?

I gained a considerable amount of weight in 2005.  I had my daughter in July 2005 my top weight during her pregnancy was 205 pounds.  By mid September I was down to 176.  In December 2005 I went to the doctor because I was up to 205 pounds again, while eating well and exercising.  I don't even know for certain what my top weight ended up being.  In January 2006, I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid with a TSH of 100.  This started a long journey of weight loss.  I started medication and in the first 6 months I lost a little bit of weight, probably about 10 pounds or so.

After that it was a struggle.  I know what it is to struggle with your weight, to do everything possible and still not lose, or maybe lose 1-2 pounds a month.  I struggled enough that I decided there was no reason for me to  stay in the military since I had been unable to lose enough weight from January 2006 until July 2009.

Enter The Primal Blueprint and The Paleo Diet.  They saved my life.  After years of calorie restriction and exercising without success I was finally able to lose weight, effortlessly.  It was a miracle, or so I thought, until I began researching it.  It wasn't a miracle it was science.

If you are interested in the science of it read the book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.  Or take the time to lurk around on Dr. Eades blog, or the PaNu blog.  They can explain it a lot better than I can. Or you could take the time to go read this: http://entropyproduction.blogspot.com/2009/02/all-medical-science-is-wrong-within-95.html

I just really think it is time for people to realize that their choices are what got them fat, and their choices keep them fat.  Regardless of a medical condition, there is a way for every person to lose weight and get healthy, you just have to be willing to look closely and change things up if they don't work.  Or, you might just have to be willing to 'go against the grain'.  Ditch it and feel better :)

Quit making excuses and get healthy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment