Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Beef Jerky

Beef jerky is super simple to make. You don't even need a dehydrator!

So, my method.

Take the beef you are using, the cut really isn't too important I use whatever is on sale London broil works great, and place it in the freezer until it just starts to get frozen, this makes it easier to slice.

Slice beef into strips about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick, trim the biggest pieces of fat.
in a plastic containder put a layer of the beef, sprinkle meat with seasonings of choice.
Put down another layer of meat, more spices, layer of meat, more slices. I usually sprinkle a little salt for flavor, about 1 teaspoon per 3 pounds of beef.

Sometimes I will fill the container with water and a dash of soy sauce, maybe some vineger or lemon/lime juice. Depends on the flavor I am going for. 


A recent batch, which was soooo yummy, was just onion powder, garlic powder, cracked pepper, a bit of salt and chili powder with a dash of soy sauce (coconut aminos) every few layers. This was copied from a  Facebook note, I no longer use the soy sauce, you just don't need it.

If you don't have a dehydrator use your oven. I only have one cookie cooling rack(also known as a bacon rack) . I would use that on the bottom rack of the oven. I cover the bottom rack with aluminum foil to catch drips. Then fit the smaller pieces of meat on the cookie cooling rack. The rest I would just hang from the top rack of the oven. Set the oven to the loweest setting, between 140 and 170 degrees. Prop the door open, and let the meat dry. If you want it to go faster you can prop a small fan in the door. It takes about 4-8 hours.


I have gotten to where I like a bit of salt, onion powder and garlic powder best.  You don't need a lot, just enough to lightly coat each piece of meat.

1 comments:

mamamia said...

sounds delicious! we all love beef jerky, so I shall give your recipe a go soon! Thanks for sharing it. :)

Post a Comment